Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Salute Veterans!


I do a great deal of talking against the war we're in... against all of the wars we're in... against all war.   I strongly feel that although countries, like people, should have the right to defend themselves, wars begin offensively, not defensively, are usually motivated by greed, paranoia and hatred, and are by most accounts unjust, unrighteous, unholy and indefensible.  With that in mind, I've written and send countless letters, postcards, emails, signed petitions, attended rallies and I've prayed that the day will come that human will realize that a war begun is a war lost.


Wars are initiated by people who will never see action on the front lines, they are encouraged and marketed to the public by people who will profit from them in some way.  Wars are fought, however, by brave and selfless men and women who believe it is their duty to protect their families and their country or that serving is an honorable alternative to the slim and dire opportunities otherwise available to them.  

They serve knowing that they may have to maim or kill others; they serve knowing that they may capture or be captured, torture or be tortured; they serve at the risk of returning torn, broken ...or not at all.

Today and every day, I salute the brave women and men who live lives of service.  I am both terrified and proud to count many members of my family and currently one of my big brothers among them.  So please join me in praying, writing, calling, emailing, and rallying for peace, and in thanking those who do what we would not...   

 

Happy Veterans Today!




Thank you for reading my blog today. Please be kind to yourself and to others. Share your visions of peace and justice with the world. Strive always to leave each place you visit the better for your having been there! - TCK



No comments:

Post a Comment