Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011


 When one of my nieces asked why I was taking time from my studies and work to campaign to save Troy Davis, I explained that even though we’re all busy, some things require us to stop and take action.  Getting justice for Troy Davis was such a thing.
I also explained that some people believe that those who break the law should be rehabilitated, while some people believe they should be punished.  For those who believe in punishment, some believe that those who commit horrible crimes (like murder) should be given horrible punishments (like the death sentence).
I understand the desire to punish, especially when you are hurt or angry, or if you have no faith in Divine justice. Even if it seems reasonable to kill someone, because that person killed someone, however, is it reasonable if even one innocent man is killed?  Troy Davis was not the first man to die at the hands of the United States justice system, when there was much more than reasonable doubt of his guilt.  He will probably not be the last. I signed Amnesty International's Pledge to fight to abolish the death penalty, because I don't want any more blood on my hands:

The state of Georgia shamefully executed Troy Davis on September 21, 2011 despite serious doubts about his guilt.
But Not In My Name.
While a majority of the world – more than 65% of all countries – has abolished the death penalty in law or practice, the United States remains one of the top countries responsible for executing people.
Not In My Name.
Officials continue to allow this deeply-flawed, extremely arbitrary and severely-biased (both economically and racially) system to run rampant without checks, balances or concern for moral decency.
Not In My Name.
Guilty or innocent every person is a human being with human rights. Executions are always wrong.
I won't stand for it.
THE DEATH PENALTY MUST BE ABOLISHED. I take this pledge because human rights and human lives are on the line.
To sign Amnesty International pledge to fight to abolish the death penalty, Click Here!

Thank you for reading my blog today. Please be kind to yourself and to others. Share your visions of peace and justice with the world. Strive always to leave each place you visit the better for your having been there! - TCK

No comments:

Post a Comment